Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a Metrology Specialist, reporting to the Manager of Quality, to support the development of the systems that will be required for the design and build of artificial-gravity human-rated space stations. This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Hawthorne location and will support our Long Beach location as needed. This role will be relocating full-time to Long Beach in 2024.
The Metrology Specialist is responsible for calibrating, compensating, and repairing a wide range of Inspection, Measurement, and Test Equipment (IMTE), including electronic, physical-dimensional, mechanical, thermodynamic, and chemical equipment, to support world-class measurement applications and facilities. This role is pivotal in ensuring precision and quality throughout the organization.
- Oversee and manage relationships with external calibration service providers, ensuring they meet quality and regulatory requirements, and coordinating calibration activities to maintain the accuracy and reliability of measurement equipment
- Establish and manage in-house calibration capabilities, including the selection, installation, and calibration of necessary equipment, to enhance efficiency and control over measurement processes while reducing reliance on external calibration services
- Maintain and manage a comprehensive calibration database to track and document equipment calibration schedules, results, and historical records, ensuring the integrity of measurement data and compliance with AS9100 standards
- Facilitate the integration of all calibrated tool inventories into ERP System, to enable tracking, traceability, and accessibility of measurement data, leading to improved data management and process efficiency
- Manage the maintenance and repair of measurement equipment to maximize reliability and longevity
- Collect and analyze measurement data to identify trends, variations, and areas for improvement in processes and products.
- Maintain accurate records of measurement procedures, calibration results, and equipment maintenance
- Assure compliance of VAST Metrology to VAST Quality Management System, AS9100D and ISO9001 requirements
- Follow procedures to perform routine and complex tasks related to the calibration, compensation, repair and maintenance of electronic, physical–dimensional, mechanical, thermodynamic and/or chemical IMTE
- Use measurement reference standards and calibration systems to verify conformance of IMTE with associated performance criteria
- Drive assessment, modification, and implementation of metrology processes, applications, and improvements
- Support IMTE end users and owners regarding IMTE use and measurement best practices
- Serve as IMTE subject matter expert for supported measurement parameters
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 1+ years of experience in the repair and calibration of IMTE
Preferred Skills and Experiences:
- 3+ years of professional and / or academic experience
- Experience using, calibrating, compensating and / or repairing high accuracy, high precision measurement equipment
- Training in defense, aerospace, energy and / or medical settings
- Excellent quantitative and verbal reasoning skills
- AC / DC low frequency IMTE calibration, compensation and repair experience
- Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory (PMEL) and/or Test Measurement and Diagnostic Equipment (TMDE) experience
- Familiarity with ISO / IEC 17025, AS9100D and ISO9001
- Familiarity with Calibration Management and Metrology Information Systems (MIS), specifically IndySoft
- American Society for Quality (ASQ) Certified Calibration Technician (CCT)
- Experience with and in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Able to lift up to 25 lbs. Unassisted
- Ability to work overtime and weekends as needed
- Ability to balance and provide timely execution of multiple assigned tasks and projects
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.