Mechanical Engineer, Structures & Mechanisms
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a Mechanical Engineer reporting to the Structures and Mechanisms Department to help us with the design and build of artificial-gravity human-rated space stations. This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Long Beach, CA location.
The Structures and Mechanisms team covers a wide range of components and responsibilities: from the primary pressure hull, to MMOD shielding and docking mechanism, establishing loads and Factors of Safety, as well as supporting other teams mechanical design needs across the company.
- Own the design of primary and secondary structures on a large scale space station.
- Develop an understanding of static and dynamic loads, vibrations, thermal and other environmental considerations to drive design decisions.
- Perform mechanical design and analysis, develop manufacturing drawings, test plans, and concept of operations and follow hardware through the entire process.
- Lead trades and own interfaces with all sub systems.
- Work with fabricators and technicians to improve designs, develop processes and resolve issues.
- Bachelor's Degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or physics.
- 3+ years experience with CAD and FEA software packages.
- 3+ years of experience designing and developing mechanical components or systems.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Design of structures and components for a high-performance vehicle or spacecraft.
- Proactive problem-solving skills such as failure analysis and root cause investigation.
- Prior experience in a fast-paced manufacturing setting.
- Design work in recent versions of NX, Teamcenter.
- Analysis work in recent versions of Ansys, FeMap/Nastran, Abaqus.
- Experience with GD&T implementation and analysis (ASME Y14.5).
- Familiarity with spacecraft specifications such as SMC-S-016, NASA-STD-5001.
- Mechanical Engineer Level II: $120,000-$140,000
- Senior Mechanical Engineer Level III: $135,000-$160,000
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.