Supervisor, Environmental Health and Safety
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for an Environmental Health and Safety Supervisor, reporting to the Manager of Environmental Health and Safety, to support the development of the systems that will be required for the design and build of artificial-gravity human-rated space stations.
This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Hawthorne and Long Beach locations with weekly travel to our Mojave site.
- Ensure compliance with all regulations and guidelines stipulated by OSHA, NFPA, and NIOSH.
- Collaborate with departmental leadership to carry out assessments of job hazards and execute health and safety protocols.
- Supervise staff exposure to physical and chemical risks.
- Examine facilities, machinery, and safety apparatus to pinpoint and rectify potential dangers, ensuring adherence to safety regulations.
- Record and maintain documented safety observations from routine audits targeting hazard identification.
- Investigate industrial accidents, injuries, or work-related illnesses.
- Establish and maintain compliance with all applicable regulations prescribed by the EPA, CERCLA, RCRA, DOT, and NEPA.
- Analyze and implement environmental statutes and regulations, offering guidance to management.
- Supervise direct report(s) and oversee day to day operations.
- Oversee hazardous and non-hazardous waste management.
- Associate degree.
- 7+ years of experience in environmental health and safety.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Occupational Health and Safety Management Program certificate.
- Associate degree in environmental technology or science.
- Adept in both the environmental and safety domains.
- Proficient in executing and upholding adherence to stormwater regulations.
- Expertise in comprehending, applying, and documenting federal, state and local safety and environmental mandates.
- Skilled in implementing machine guarding and industrial hygiene initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in emergency response communication and incident management for situations involving the release of hazardous and non-hazardous materials into the air, soil, and water.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook.
- Ability to travel between work sites up to 50% of the time
- Willingness to work extended hours, or weekends to support critical mission milestones
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs unassisted
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.