Propulsion Test Technician, E-2 Development
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a Propulsion Test Technician, reporting to the Director of E-2 Engineering, to support the Launcher E-2 liquid rocket engine development program. This will be a full-time, non-exempt position located in our Hawthorne location.We have the ambitious goal for E-2 to be the world’s highest-performing engine for small launchers, while optimized for mass production and low cost. You will be a key team member helping complete the development of our E-2 engine towards a completed and reliable high-performance product.
- Assemble, install, and test E-2 hardware.
- Perform water flow and high pressure pneumatic and hydrostatic testing of components.
- Participate in development engine integration and testing at our Mojave Test Site.
- Build and troubleshoot fluid systems involving pressurized cylinders, regulators, tanks, valves, tubing, fittings, and other plumbing elements.
- Install instrumentation onto test articles.
- Overhaul E-2 engines and propulsion components (TCA, TPA, preburner, valves, and more) as needed for inspections and repairs.
- Read and interpret technical drawings, and follow detailed work instructions.
- Perform work according to procedures, specifications, and test instructions.
- Use precision calibrated tools – torque wrenches, micrometers and calipers.
- Use various mechanical tools without instruction.
- Collaborate with production engineers and quality personnel to develop and document activities.
- Communicate effectively with the team to regularly provide updates on progress and issues.
- Always follow proper safety procedures and wear personal protective equipment in the workplace.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment.
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate.
- 2+ years experience in hardware assembly and/or testing in a manufacturing or aerospace environment.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience in the aerospace industry, aviation, military or other high-reliability operating environments.
- Knowledge of pressure, temperature and flow measurement devices, mechanical and electrical systems, and propulsion engines.
- Skill in operating and manipulating machinery and various hand and power tools requiring manual dexterity.
- A demonstrated ability in reading/understanding technical drawings, manuals and reports.
- Ability to use precision measuring instruments.
- Experience installing instrumentation and making cables.
- Comfortable working in a high-stress environment balancing several projects at any given time, and the flexibility to adjust for abrupt changes in strategic direction.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) with engineering and production.
- Proficient with computers and the ability to use MS Office.
- Experience with forklifts, cranes and heavy equipment.
- Willingness to travel occasionally (up to 25% of the time).
- Willingness to work overtime, or weekends to support critical mission milestones.
- Occasional Saturday and weekend support when necessary.
- Ability to stand for extended periods, up to 8 hours.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs unassisted.
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.