Avionics Test Engineer
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a Avionics Test Engineer, reporting to the Staff Avionics Engineer, to design and develop and execute creative testing solutions for all the electronic hardware and software for our Haven commercial space station program. This includes but is not limited to: flight computers, power conversion units, analog and digital circuit boards, FPGA’s, and communication system units. You will be expected to create new test systems from the ground up, to play a critical role in the success of our avionics systems.
This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Long Beach location.
- Perform hands-on testing of Avionics components and systems applying core Avionics test principles.
- Perform receiving inspections/checkouts of COTS Avionics components from partner vendors.
- Perform Avionics testing at the system level during vehicle integration and pre-ship checkouts.
- Provide test results to other team members in concise and organized fashion.
- Design test fixtures for complex antenna and Avionics component test setups.
- Design and build Avionics test racks for component and system level testing, automating the testing process where applicable.
- Partner with manufacturing and integration engineers to develop work instructions and installation procedures for integrating and testing Avionics hardware.
- Work closely with and consistently provide feedback to responsible design engineers, manufacturing engineers, and test lab teams to drive design or infrastructure improvements to increase product reliability and yield.
- Create root-cause test setups to ensure issues are understood and recreate on-orbit situations allowing continuous improvements to the Avionics systems.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or other engineering discipline.
- 2+ years of experience with avionics design, analysis, and/or unit level testing (significant academic projects, internships, and traditional professional experience all qualify).
- Experience with Avionics test equipment such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, current probes.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Ability to communicate highly technical topics to a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to creatively solve problems and weigh against multi-disciplinary requirements together while assessing risk and making design and development decisions.
- Familiarity with voltage and signal measurement techniques and tools such as signal integrity, eye diagrams,
- Experience with test equipment and measurement techniques to verify and validate product requirements
- Understanding of electrical schematics and electronics manufacturing to analyze and improve test coverage
- Understanding of metrology, sources of measurement error, and uncertainty analysis
- Experience developing object oriented software
- Experience analyzing circuits and developing functional test plans
- Experience with testing analog and digital electronics for spaceflight environments, verifying workmanship and operability through environmental test (random vibration, shock, thermal, burn-in, and TVAC).
- Experience with software programming: Matlab, LabVIEW, Python, C/C++, JS, etc.
- Ability to travel up to 10% travel to support launch campaigns.
- Avionics Systems Engineer Level I: $100,000-$145,000.
- Avionics Systems Engineer Level II: $135,000-$170,000.
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.