Avionics Systems Engineer
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for an Avionics Systems Engineer, reporting to the Staff Avionics Engineer. As an Avionics Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for developing, testing, and maintaining avionics systems for our state-of-the-art commercial space station.
This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Long Beach location.
- Work with a cross functional team of engineers between vehicle analysis, design, and production extending through vehicle system verification and space operations.
- Analyze, create and maintain systems designs, define and improve processes, and develop vehicle validation techniques.
- Perform real-time troubleshooting on the vehicle as it goes from the integration phase through mission operations.
- Develop and execute avionics system level testing on integrated flight hardware to assess vehicle flight readiness.
- Support build and process improvement through troubleshooting build problems and work to simplify and streamline recurring work to enable higher reliability of the avionics systems.
- Support mission operations by providing real-time input during flight, completing data reviews and monitoring system performance, and working with partners to simplify operation of systems.
- Work cross-functionally to define the scope of development projects and initial product requirements as new designs move from concept, prototype to production.
- Define acceptance testing and qualification requirements of new and existing hardware, perform development and qualification testing to prove out design, and formally document test results.
- Travel to launch sites for testing and/or operations.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or other engineering discipline.
- 4+ years of experience with avionics design, analysis, and/or unit level testing.
- Experience with avionics test equipment such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, current probes.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Comfortable communicating deeply technical topics to a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to creatively solve problems and weigh against multi-disciplinary requirements together while assessing risk and making design and development decisions.
- Understanding of electrical schematics and electronics manufacturing to analyze and improve test coverage.
- Hands-on experience with sizing, installing and troubleshooting various electronic components.
- Experience with wire harness design and build, including associated sub-components.
- Experience with NX or similar CAD software.
- Experience with PCBA design and Altium or similar software.
- Experience with RF system design or testing
- Competence with electrical test equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, network analyzers, power supplies, etc.)
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together with the ability to assess risk and make design and development decisions without all available data.
- Self-motivated with strong learning, multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills.
- Strong sense of accountability and integrity with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Ability to travel up to 10% travel to support critical launch campaigns.
- Avionics Systems Engineer Level I: $100,000-$145,000
- Avionics Systems Engineer Level II: $135,000-$170,000
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.