Director, Power Systems
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a Director, Power Systems, reporting to the Senior Director, Haven, to lead the development of the Electronics and Power Systems for our artificial-gravity human-rated space station. This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Long Beach location.
- Recruit, retain and empower a diverse team of engineers to develop solar panels, batteries, power point trackers, and power distribution units
- Set and lead the power department strategy and drive overall results against business objectives
- End-to-end ownership of power distribution electronics specification, architecture, simulation, schematic capture, PCB design, mechanical packaging design, board-level bring-up and validation, environmental qualification (vibration, thermal vacuum), and integrated system-level validation
- Design of circuits to implement functions such as load switching, hot-swapping, power conditioning, inrush control, over-current fault detection, and electronic release mechanisms
- Development of space station power system harnessing and high-current interconnect solutions
- Perform failure modes and effects analyses and drive reliability design and validation plans at the system level
- Assist in the evaluation and selection of technologies, tools, and third-party partners
- Iterate on manufacturing processes and development testing in a fast-paced environment
- Own the project delivery timeline from early design through production, launch, and orbit operations
- Perform systems engineering tasks and power analyses
- Lead design reviews internally and externally with suppliers and customers
- Bachelor's Degree in electrical engineering or related or other engineering discipline
- 10+ years of experience in developing power electronics
- 5+ years of experience building and managing teams to deliver on a technical vision and strategy
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Master's Degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience with batteries, MPPTs, power distribution units, solar arrays
- Ability to creatively solve problems and bring multiple disciplines together while assessing risk and making design and development decisions with incomplete data set
- Professional experience with instrumentation and data acquisition (e.g. SPICE, SQL, and/or National Instruments hardware)
- Experience with software programming: Matlab, Python, C/C++, etc.
- Experience with vehicle and instrumentation buses such as Ethernet, CAN, SPI, and I2C, as well as serial I/O (RS232/422/485)
- Experience with full-lifecycle product development
- Experience with designing power systems for spaceflight environment, verifying workmanship and operability through environmental test (random vibration, shock, thermal, burn-in, and TVAC)
- Strong sense of accountability and integrity with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to thrive at an early-stage startup where you will have the opportunity to help create and optimize key systems and processes
- Director of Power Systems Level V: $185,000-$220,000
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.