Senior Power Systems Engineer
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a Senior Power Systems Engineer, reporting to the Senior Director of Haven, to support the development of the systems that will be required for the design and build of artificial-gravity human-rated space stations. This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Long Beach location.
- End-to-end ownership of space station power system architectural trades, power and interface budgeting and tracking, functional and technical interface definitions (hardware and software), hierarchical requirements specification, and verification and validation planning and execution
- Perform failure modes, effects, and criticality analyses at the system-level to motivate reliability design and validation plans
- Lead cross-functional engineering teams to capture system-level operating modes and concepts, requirements, constraints, and behaviors and drive their implementation on the power system
- Manage power system deliverables and execute spacecraft-level integration and test
- Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering, or other engineering discipline
- 5+ years of experience in spacecraft electrical systems
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Ability to creatively solve problems and bring multiple disciplines together while assessing risk and making design and development decisions with incomplete data set
- Experience working in collegiate project teams (e.g. Formula SAE, Hybrid Electric Vehicle) and/or professional experience Professional experience with instrumentation and data acquisition (e.g. SPICE, SQL, and/or National Instruments hardware)
- Experience with software programming: Matlab, Python, C/C++, etc.
- Experience with vehicle and instrumentation buses such as Ethernet, CAN, SPI, and I2C, as well as serial I/O (RS232/422/485)
- Experience with full-lifecycle product development
- Experience with designing electronics for spaceflight environment, verifying workmanship and operability through environmental test (random vibration, shock, thermal, burn-in, and TVAC)
- Strong sense of accountability and integrity with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to thrive at an early-stage startup where you will have the opportunity to help create and optimize key systems and processes
- Senior Power Systems Engineer Level III: $135,000-$170,000
- Staff Power Systems Engineer Level IV: $160,000-$200,000
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.