Supplier Quality Engineer
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a(n) Supplier Quality Engineer, reporting to the Manager of Quality, to support the development of the systems that will be required for the design and build of artificial-gravity human-rated space stations. This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Hawthorne location. In the role of Supplier Quality Engineer you will be crucial in ensuring the consistent quality and reliability of the products and components we receive from our suppliers.
- Evaluating and onboarding new suppliers, ensuring they meet our quality expectations by conducting regular audits, assessments, and evaluations to ensure that our suppliers adhere to our quality standards.
- Assure supplier understanding of product and submission requirements.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with our suppliers, address any quality-related issues, identify risks in the supply chain, and implement improvements.
- Work collaboratively with design engineers to gain an in-depth knowledge of piece part, assembly, and/or sub-system design intent.
- Work collaboratively with various departments across the business to strategically source parts matched with supplier competencies by reviewing and assessing supplier manufacturing processes and quality systems.
- Setting and enforcing quality standards for incoming materials, components, and products.
- Conduct inspections, tests, and assessments to ensure that the products meet our specifications and are free from defects.
- Use expertise to contribute to the prevention of defects and non-conformities, ultimately reducing the likelihood of recalls and/or customer complaints.
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives, both internally and with our suppliers, by analyzing quality data, identifying trends, and implementing corrective and preventive actions to enhance the overall quality of our products and reduce costs.
- Create and define supplier technical and quality requirements based on customer and program requirements and expectations for NPI and manufacturing phases.
- Implement and monitor production part approval process (PPAP) with selected suppliers to enable rate manufacturing.
- Develop and approve process controls to regulate acceptance of critical characteristics.
- Recommend technical product improvements to reduce risk and potential defect opportunities and provide feedback as appropriate on manufacturing methods and technologies.
- Analyze supplier quality and delivery metrics to identify trends, pinpoint systemic performance gaps, and determine root causes in order to develop supplier improvement plans.
- Function as liaison between purchasing, engineering, manufacturing and suppliers to resolve supplier quality issues and to provide technical support.
- Drive supplier corrective actions associated with any escapes or contaminants identified in Vast manufacturing or the Vast supply chain.
- Demonstrate autonomy, innovation, technical excellence, and attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, or supply chain or 5+ years of experience in supplier quality.
- 3+ years of manufacturing, mechanical, supply chain, or business management experience.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in engineering, business, or supply chain.
- 5+ years of experience with mechanical assemblies, materials and processes.
- 1+ years of experience with optical systems.
- In-depth understanding of aerospace industry regulations and standards.
- Experience managing external suppliers.
- Strong negotiating skills to drive preferred pricing and results.
- Experience with Quality Management Systems (ISO 9000 / AS9100 / NADCAP).
- Knowledge of supplier quality processes (PPAP, APQP, FAI reports, etc.).
- Experience in statistical controls and methods (e.g. MSA, GR&R, Design of Experiments, Six Sigma, etc.).
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment.
- Effective written, verbal and presentation communication skills.
- Willingness to work overtime and/or weekends to support critical mission milestones.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs unassisted.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.