Staff Crew Equipment Engineer, Human Systems
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a Staff Crew Equipment Engineer, reporting to the Principal Engineer of Human Systems, to support the selection and development of the equipment and equipment accommodations required for humans on our artificial-gravity human-rated space stations. This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Long Beach location.
As a Staff Crew Equipment Engineer on the Human Systems team, you will have a unique opportunity to build out the environment that humans in our space station will interact with. You will partner with cross-functional teams like Medical, Culinary, Avionics, Thermal, ECLSS, Test, Integration, and Manufacturing to ensure high-quality human habitation systems are designed, built, and appropriately provisioned.
To be considered, please submit a resume and engineering portfolio of work.
- Lead all efforts to design, select, improve, qualify, manufacture, and verify inflight equipment and equipment accommodations for crewed missions in low Earth orbit
- Provide technical expertise as a crew equipment expert, and consult on best stowage practices
- Work closely with the Medical and Culinary teams to ensure medical equipment and food supplies are adequately packaged and stowed
- Participate in crewmember equipment sessions and meetings to develop equipment and operational procedures that meet crew member’s mission requirements
- Attend and participate in industry conferences to stay up to date on innovations in relevant technical fields, such as soft goods, personal consumables, and PPE
- Support development of Vast module design and maintenance procedures to ensure equipment is appropriately accommodated
- Assesses crew non-edible consumable provisioning needs and logistics for the duration of the mission onboard the space station
- Gather requirements, study trade-offs, and define detailed specifications for all equipment and equipment accommodations
- Execute design reviews internally and externally with suppliers and customers
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, physics, industrial engineering, or other related field
- 5+ years’ experience designing and building safety equipment
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience in space flight hardware development
- Experience with safety equipment outside of the space industry
- Experience working with vendors for soft goods
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to take ownership of projects, and deliver results
- Experience in product design and packaging