Environmental Test Lab Manager
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for an Environmental Test Lab Manager, reporting to the Manager of Environmental Testing, to support the development of Vast’s test lab facilities and testing required for the design and build of artificial-gravity human-rated space stations. You will work closely with Design/Test REs, test technicians, and other teams such as Avionics, Facilities, and Integration to ensure testing standards and schedules are met. This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Long Beach location.
- Building out Vast's environmental test lab and cleanroom vibe lab
- Overseeing maintenance and daily operation of thermal/vacuum test lab, cleanroom vibe lab, and anechoic chamber
- Oversee the execution of tests, ensuring adherence to safety protocols and regulatory standards.
- Sourcing proper vibe tables, thermal chambers, TVAC/VAC chambers + necessary equipment i.e. chillers, amplifiers, control instrumentation, etc.
- Syncing with the Facilities team to ensure labs are set up with proper power, air/gas/water sources, sound dampening, installation, HVAC, etc.
- Ensuring all labs are equipped with the necessary tools, fasteners, sensors, and consumables needed to conduct environmental tests
- Standardizing softwares, sensors, fasteners, tools used with the equipment
- Hiring and managing a team of vibe, thermal, and EMI test technicians that specialize in operation and maintenance of the test lab equipment
- Assign tasks, set performance goals, conduct performance evaluations, and provide ongoing feedback and training for lab technicians
- Creating How-Tos and training sessions for team members interfacing and/or running the chambers or vibe tables
- Scheduling for in-house testing across teams: Ensuring that in-house testing meets our mission timelines
- 10+ years of test experience including conducting vibration, thermal, acoustic, and/or EMI/EMC testing
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- People management and project management experience
- Proficient knowledge and skill working with various sensors (TCs, PTs, accelerometers, strain gauges, force links / load cells, etc.)
- Knowledge of environmental testing equipment: brands, capabilities, maintenance, best practices (shaker tables, thermal/TVAC chambers, anechoic chambers, pressure boom rooms, etc.)
- Knowledge of control system softwares (M+P, VR, etc.)
- Proficiency with relevant aerospace testing standards (SMC-S-016, MIL-STD-810G, GSFC-STD-7000B, etc.)
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to make independent judgments with limited information
- Communication skills for relaying data (verbally and in-writing) between other employees, vendors, and customers
- Logical and strategic approach to solving problems
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm
- Exhibit the ability to think ‘outside the box’ to solve problems.
- Ability to multitask and switch between priorities in a relatively short period of time.
- Experience with Confluence/JIRA/PLM (Teamcenter)
- Experience with Factory OS (Operating Systems) like ION
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs unassisted