Hardware Development Engineer
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a Hardware Development Engineer, reporting to the Senior R&D Engineer, to support the development of the systems that will be required for the design and build of artificial-gravity human-rated space stations. This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Long Beach location.
The Haven Development team is dedicated to transforming space access for humanity, aiming to pave the way for new frontiers in the cosmos and ultimately fostering a multi-planetary existence. Our team takes pride in crafting cutting-edge mechanisms, systems, and electronics. We push the boundaries of space technology with an unprecedented cost and pace. Join our dynamic and top-tier hardware development team, collaborate with brilliant and driven engineers, and together, we will accomplish remarkable feats. If you crave challenges and dream of contributing to our civilization's multi-planetary future, then look no further – this is the perfect place for you!
- Take full ownership of new development projects that support near-term & long-term space habitats
- Rapidly design, develop and test systems to support quicker production cycles of space habitats
- Drive research and analysis while collaborating with software, mechanical, thermal, manufacturing teams and production test teams.
- Manage deliverables that range from singular case studies & analysis, to building & instrumenting full complex test environments.
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or other engineering discipline
- Experience driving complex projects from cradle to grave
- Working knowledge of all supporting engineering disciplines (i.e. Mechanically strong but knows how to wire and code, or Control Electronics focused but knows CAD & can create machine drawings)
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- 2+ years of professional experience rapidly designing and delivering highly reliable products.
- 2+ years of professional experience testing, troubleshooting and debugging mechanical and electrical issues.
- 2+ years of professional experience with fast-paced projects.
- Hands-on skills (Wiring, Machining, Soldering, Fabricating, 3D Printing)
- Understanding and programming languages (Python, C/C++).
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional role.
- Ability to work in a fast paced & autonomously driven start-up atmosphere.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Passion for building/testing & driven to create something from very little/nothing.
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight.
- Willingness to work overtime, or weekends to support critical mission milestones
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs unassisted