Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a Weld Engineer to support the development and fabrication of the Haven-1 structure, Vast’s first artificial-gravity human-rated space station. This position is based at our Long Beach Headquarters.
As a Weld Engineer, you will specify, document, test, inspect, and troubleshoot the mission-critical welds that hold the Haven-1 space station together.
- Develop methodologies that lead to an acceptable weld
- Specify weld inspection techniques and requirements
- Catalog weld parameters and document them over time
- Advise the broader engineering team on weld design and tooling
- Conduct root cause investigations into weld defects
- Disposition weld defects, issues and rework parameters
- 5 years in the aerospace or automotive industry as a weld engineer
- Experience using aerospace welding standards
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Stainless steel or sheet metal welding experience
- Self-starter, highly motivated working in a fast-paced department
- Automated welding process development
- Laser welding
- Large high tolerance part production
Must be willing to work overtime and weekends to support critical mission milestones