Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is seeking a Thermal Engineer/Analyst to design, build, and put into orbit the world’s first artificial gravity commercial space station. In this position, you will work independently and within a team environment, collaborating on tasks performed across a spectrum of disciplines, which will require excellent writing and oral presentation skills. The position will require a complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories, and concepts in the field of thermal engineering and experience developing active thermal control systems.
- Thermal systems requirements development
- Perform thermal analysis to develop and optimize thermal control designs and provide solutions to a wide range of difficult problems
- Coordinate with other engineering disciplines
- Document thermal analyses and designs
- Review and approve drawings for thermal design hardware content
- Report results of analyses and design specifics to internal management and external customers.
- Work with test engineering to plan and execute subsystem level thermal tests, as well as perform associated analyses.
- Provide feedback regarding impacts of possible cost and/ or schedule changes
- Work and execute independently with minimal technical oversight and general direction
- Mentor junior engineers and provide guidance on best practice
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace Engineering, Physics, or related Engineering discipline with a minimum of 5+ years of related professional work experience, or a MS degree and 3+ years of experience
- Knowledge and understanding of the application of technical principles, theories, and concepts for developing active thermal control systems
- Experience using thermal analysis tools (SINDA/G, SINDA/FLUINT, TSS, Thermal Desktop)
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Design, analysis and integration experience of spacecraft thermal systems
- Experience using aerospace standard design tools (NX, CATIA, CREO)
- Experience with space vehicle thermal design and/or integration
- Spacecraft and/or Payload background with experience through the entire system lifecycle from concept, design, production, integration, test, launch, to operation support
- Experience working on thermal design and troubleshooting efforts
- Ability to develop novel concepts for active thermal control systems for space habitats
- Detail-oriented and have excellent verbal and written communications skills, leadership skills, and organization skills