Sr. Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) Engineer
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a Sr. Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) Engineer. In this role, you will support research and development of flight control algorithms for our Orbiter spacecraft and/or our Haven space station with a particular emphasis on expanding our high fidelity modeling and simulation architecture. This is a dynamic and fun organization involved in deploying forward-leaning avionics, guidance, navigation, and control systems for developmental concepts for spacecraft, both uncrewed and human-rated.
- Maintain and expand high fidelity GNC simulation architecture
- Develop and validate additional models for GNC simulations, including hardware-in-the-loop testing
- Design, implement and validate GNC flight software
- Develop control laws to meet vehicle performance and stability margin requirements
- Support flight activities and analyze flight performance data
- Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) discipline from an accredited university with a minimum of 5 years of experience OR Master’s degree in a STEM discipline from an accredited university with a minimum of 3 years of experience OR PhD in a STEM discipline from an accredited university with a minimum of 0 years of experience.
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Python programming skills
- Excellent communication, analysis, and problem-solving skills
- Experience in orbital mechanics as well as attitude dynamics and control
- Experience using linear control principles and tools to design feedback control systems
- Experience analyzing non-linear simulations of closed-loop dynamics
- Working knowledge of outer loop control law performance requirements
- Experience using MATLAB to create, process, analyze, and visually represent data
- Experience using Simulink to model dynamic systems