Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a Materials Engineer who is responsible for the development of heat treatment processes of additive material, evaluation of material properties, and will be an integral part of additive parameter development.
- BS in Material Science or other engineering discipline
- 2+ years of experience in an additive manufacturing role
- 2+ years of experience in a materials role
- Experience with metal additive technology, machines, and methods
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- MS/PhD preferred
- Strong background in material/alloy selection, material properties, and material characterization techniques
- Deep understanding of HIP/Heat Treatment of precipitation-hardened metals
- MS/PhD preferred
- Hands-on laboratory experience in materials science and additive manufacturing
- Preferred experience: atomization, metal additive manufacturing, alloy development for additive manufacturing, additive manufacturing equipment development, injection molding, metallography, optical microscopy, hardness testing, DSC, XRD, IGF, machine shop technology
- Strong organizational skills, as well as verbal and written communication
- Strong project management, organizational, and communication skills.
- Ability to plan and execute R&D projects
- Apply subject matter expertise to cutting edge technical needs, iterate efficiently, and clearly articulate issues
- Ability to independently operate, design, and modify laboratory equipment
- Perform materials characterization tests, write detailed reports, and design experiments
- Experience with metal alloy development for additive manufacturing and/or experience with developing new metal additive manufacturing technologies.