Additive Manufacturing Engineer
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a an Additive Manufacturing Engineer to be responsible for the design, development, and testing of all aspects of the additive process with a focus on machines, software, part design and analysis, and additive techniques.
- Design, develop, and test all aspects of the additive manufacturing process.
- Create optimized build files for current and future products including support design and powder removal design.
- Work with all engineering teams to develop additive manufacturing processes for new designs that leverage the full capability of the technology.
- Work with new machines from installation through troubleshooting, calibration, and maintenance, while developing standard operating procedures and communicating with machine suppliers to address needs and problems.
- Develop additive material parameters to optimize printing capabilities.
- Produce reports, procedures, and manuals to document results to mature development processes for production.
- Work with all engineering teams to help develop.
- Investigate and develop new additive technologies as it relates to business needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in aeronautical, aerospace, mechanical engineering, or other engineering discipline.
- 2+ years of experience in propulsions design or development of metallic additive technologies.
- Deep knowledge of metal additive manufacturing technology.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering.
- 2+ years of experience operating additive machines, including parameter developments and process control.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interface with engineering and manufacturing groups to understand process constraints and provide design inputs for improved manufacturability.
- Knowledge of various additive and subtractive manufacturing and joining techniques for metals.
- Solid understanding of optics and lasers.
- Experience with setting up and running multifactorial design of experiments (DOE’s).
- Ability to perform trade studies using first principles and engineering fundamentals.
- Proficient in basic principles of compressible and incompressible flow, thermodynamics, thermochemistry, mechanics, materials, and electrical circuits.
- Experience with NX, Solidworks.
- Experience with additive slicing softwares and parameter manipulation.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to succinctly present recommendations.
- Passion for advancing additive manufacturing technology.
- Able to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment.
- Highly self-motivated and able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.