Senior Legal Counsel
Welcome to Jetty, the financial services platform on a mission to make renting a home more affordable and flexible. We’ve built multiple financial products that benefit both renters and property managers - and we’re just getting started.
We are seeking a Senior Legal Counsel to lead our legal function, reporting to our SVP of Finance. Our ideal candidate is a self-motivated generalist with prior in-house start-up experience, who is excited to manage a diverse scope of responsibilities in a highly-visible role. You will work closely with our CEO and Executive team to address the legal needs of the company, and liaise with outside counsel as needed.
Role & Responsibilities
- Oversee Jetty’s legal function as our in-house legal counsel and subject matter expert, supporting teams such as Finance, Sales, HR, Tech, Operations and Compliance
- Provide legal advice and support on a wide range of corporate matters, including fundraising, commercial contracts, partnership agreements, regulatory compliance, corporate governance, employment law, and data privacy issues
- Manage the life cycle of commercial agreements across various business functions, including drafting agreements and leading negotiations
- Develop a strong understanding of legal developments, regulatory changes, and industry trends across Jetty’s financial product business lines (insurance, lending, credit)
- Manage relationships with outside counsel
- Identify and manage legal risk by developing and implementing appropriate policies, procedures, and trainings
- Support other legal operations and special projects, including any litigation matters, as needed
Experience & Qualifications
- 5+ years of relevant legal experience, preferably with a combination of in-house and law firm experience (background in a fast-paced start-up role preferred)
- J.D. and active membership in at least one state bar required
- Ability to independently assess legal needs, identify solutions, and drive projects to completion on established budgets and timelines
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including at the executive level and with outside counsel
- Ability to communicate legal considerations to non-legal audiences, and provide concise and results-oriented legal advice
- Pragmatic, business-minded approach to problem-solving and practical approach to risk; ability to communicate clearly about the degree of risk or uncertainty in a situation
- Strong analytical, organizational, negotiation, and communication skills, with high attention to detail
- Ability to thrive in a start-up atmosphere of constant change and growth
At Jetty, we know renting a home can be a financial challenge. That’s why we’re on a mission to make renting accessible to everyone. Jetty offers four financial products designed to help our members every step of the renting process: Jetty Deposit, a low-cost security deposit product that dramatically reduces move-in costs; Jetty Rent, a flexible rent payment program to eliminate pricey late rent fees; Jetty Credit, a credit building service that helps renters build credit just by paying rent; and Jetty Protect, an affordable renters insurance product that provides comprehensive coverage in just a few clicks.
Jetty has raised multiple rounds of venture capital from investors including Khosla Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Citi, Valar, and strategic investors. We’ve built a highly collaborative team working remotely around the country, and we believe in finding the best talent—regardless of where they live. To learn more about life at Jetty, visit jetty.com/careers.
Jetty is firmly committed to building a team as diverse as our Members. We are proud to provide equal employment opportunities for all candidates regardless of race, ancestry, citizenship, sex, gender identity or expression, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or veteran status.
Benefits & Perks
- Health (with HSA and FSA options), dental, and vision insurance through Aetna & MetLife
- 401(k) retirement savings program
- Optional life and disability coverage
- 20 days of PTO + 12 holidays, “Jetty Winter Break," and flexible sick days
- Generous parental leave policy
- Flexible remote work in any US location (keeping east coast hours)
- Stipends to cover WFH set-up, childcare, phone/internet bill, and optional co-working space